Saturday, August 20, 2016

What I Watch I Review: SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO



Director: Takashi Yamazaki

Screenwriter: Shimako Sato

Starring: Tsutomu Yamazaki; Takuya Kimura; Meisa Kuroki; Toshiro Yanagiba

Based upon: SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO anime series, also known as the North American edited Star Blazers.

I am vaguely familiar with the SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO anime series. I know I watched episodes as a child (probably the Star Blazers version), but don’t remember much. So, for this, my view wasn’t tainted by love or hate for the anime.

The film is the epitome of an eye-candy, popcorn, special effect extravaganza, leave-your-brains-at-the-door, film event.

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO is a gorgeous and glorious film filled with space battles, great special effects, awesome actions scene and great camera work. Production values are top notch.

(You knew this was coming, right?) What is not gorgeous and glorious about SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO? The plot is virtually non-existent, and the script is poor with only the barebones of a story which hits all the highlights and nothing else. Everything that happens is by the book and overly predictable, and not in a good way.

There is little actual acting in the film, but to be honest the actors are not given much to work with. The characters are typical stock characters with little personality, no depth and just serve to get us from one special effects to another.

If you a fan of the anime, I believe you can skip this film. I don’t think you’re missing anything.

Okay, to be honest, I think everyone can skip this film.

RATING: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment